Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Gross Eating Habits

A lot has happened in the last few days. My Dogs, I have gotten a grand response from my blog, (folks are wondering what "Rock Pushing " is all about - see You Tube of me in the sidebar.  I might not be the only hound pushing rocks, but I think I am the smallest dog with the largest rock!) and I got in a bit of trouble.  Brigit, alias "The Dope" got really ticked off, and that's not good when you weigh 16lbs and she weighs 120 lbs.  So in order to remain on the outside of her stomach, I have to give her the floor (or keyboard) for a minuet. Then we will get on to "Gross eating habits."
Brigit here....OK  I just have two things to say-
1- Just because I am tall and fast and extremely gorgeous, it does not mean that I am Dumb!
2- Ugh...what are we talking about....was that a squirrel!

Like I said...Dope.  Now that we got that over with...lets start!
Here is a letter from a dog who is always grossing out his human.

Dear Liddy,
For some reason my humans get disgusted with me when I eat poop.  I have no idea whats wrong with them and why they scream so loud every time and throw me out!  Can you help me understand please?
Signed - Perplexed by Poop
Dear Perplexed,
OMG  How gross!  I can hardly believe you do that!
Not really, that's just my human impersonation.  My real thought is "Cool!" What kind?!"
So humans, here is what all this poop eating is really all about.
First of all, it depends on what kind of poop your dog is eating.  If Fido is a mom, she will often eat her pups poop to clean them.  If Fido is a pup, then eating poop is natural, we will often mimic Mom.  Sometimes the baby needs to build up the probiotics in its intestines so it can digest food more effectively.  This can be somewhat avoided by adding probiotics into the diet.  If the kid continues to eat dog poop, then I would say that perhaps the food you are feeding is not being digested the first time through because it was basically made of fillers, so Fido is trying to get some nutrition into his body= try sending it through a second time. A good food poop will turn white and fall apart in a day of so, a bad food...well you as the human had better pick it up right away, because to us it equals food.
If the poop being eaten is say....My favorite...Horse poop, then the reason is different...its taste wonderful!
In my barn eating poop isn't screamed at anymore as long as we don't let her (Sheila) see us doing it.  Our horses do not get chemically wormed and are parasite free, so the chances of getting sick are slim.  But when we go into the woods, which is every day, she takes a fit if we go anyplace near deer poop or most any other kind of poop.  She says that the wild critters can be full of parasites and that could hurt us. So that being said, we just get on with it as fast as possible.  I personally love to roll in it...you should have seen the bear pile I found one day-Great way to make your human Scream!
There can be a lot of other reason for poop eating, like...

  • Inflammatory bowel disease
  • Intestinal parasites
  • Increased hunger
  • Neurological disease
  • Vitamin deficiency
  • Malnutrition
  • Thyroid disease
  • Diabetes
  • Anemia

So if you ruled out the bad food thing, and the pup and mom thing and have tried adding probiotics and vitamins 

them perhaps you should consult a Holistic counselor or a vet.

Love Ya!, Liddy
(So ...a well, I got my human on facebook and twitter, she has a lot to learn but has decided to join the century before it over and will hopefully figure it out, but...a, this is awkard, I want to be a "Rock Star" see You Tube' so if you could "like" us and pass us around that would be grand. Perhaps then I could afford to hire someone to feed me other than Her/Sheila and they would give me more than a chipmunk serving!)

No comments:

Post a Comment